Tuesday, January 31, 2012

'Strangelove' by Depeche Mode; cute video, lyrics & idioms

My friends and I used to go dancing (and drinking) a lot ...in our younger days.


As we were "coming of age" (reaching adulthood) in the late 1980's and early 1990's we were (of course!) greatly influenced by (influence = eikyo-o) the fantastic music of the time.  
Most of my friends and I were "into" (interested in) the New Wave, Punk and Gothic 'Alternative' music scene and such musicians and 'alternative bands' of that time (many from England and parts of Europe).


So, we dressed in black, wore black eyeliner, dyed our hair different colors, and did a lot of dancing (and drinking) to songs by bands like The Cure, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, and.... Depeche Mode (DM) (pronounced "de-pesh"), a band that came out of England. 


Depeche Mode (we used to joke and call them "Depressed Mood") "became "The most popular electronic band the world has ever known" according to Q magazine and "One of the greatest British pop groups of all time" according to the Sunday Telegraph."



Anyway (= dewa), my old friend Mark, with whom I've spent many wonderful hours dancing (.....and drinking) shared this very cute video he found on Facebook.

This impressive video is of a musically talented, Spanish speaking father and his two children performing 'Strangelove' (Strange Love = fushigi no ai) by Depeche Mode, in English ! 


DM is not my favorite band, but since Valentine's Day is "just around the corner" (coming soon), well... watch it; it's adorable!


Below, I will also post the lyrics to the song (and try explaining some idioms in English with Japanese Roma-ji), and finally the original DM video from the 1980's.
Please compare and Enjoy!
The Coolest Dad Ever! Pain! Ha Ha! LOL!

Now, the Lyrics to STRANGELOVE,

There'll be times
When my crimes
Will seem almost unforgivable
I give in to sin 1*
Because you have to make this life liveable
But when you think I've had enough 2*
From your sea of love
I'll take more than another riverfull
And I'll make it all worthwhile 3*
I'll make your heart smile

Strangelove
Strange highs and strange lows
Strangelove
That's how my love goes
Strangelove
Will you give it to me
Will you take the pain
I will give to you
Again and again
And will you return it

There'll be day's
When I'll stray
I may appear to be
Constantly out of reach 4*
I give in to sin
Because I like to practise what I preach 5*
I'm not trying to say
I'll have it all my way
I'm always willing to learn 6*
When you've got something to teach
And I'll make it all worthwhile
I'll make your heart smile

Pain will you return it
I'll say it again - pain
Pain will you return it
I won't say it again

I give in
Again and again
I give in
Will you give it to me
I give in
I'll say it again
I give in

I give in
Again and again
I give in
That's how my love goes
I give in
I'll say it again
I give in

1* "I give in to" = I surrender = kofuku suru 
                    I submit = shitagau        
    ..."sin"  = tsumi, tsumi o okasu

2* "...I've had enough" = "ippai desu", "mo dame"

3* "...make it all worthwhile" 
             worthwhile = kachi ga aru

4* "...constantly out of reach" 
             unapproachable = chikayorigatai

5* "I like to practice what I preach" 
       preach = sekkyo-o suru
    "I like to follow my own advice."
    "Practice what you preach."

6* "willing to learn" = yorokonde manabu suru
                       "        " narau "   "

And finally, the 1987 DM classic
What do the lyrics say to you??
What does it all mean ???

In my opinion, it seems to express the 2 sides of Love... 
the pleasure and the pain. 
The pleasurable & the painful sides to any loving 
relationship... lover, spouse (husband / wife), family, children, parents 
etc...

Whenever we open up our hearts to anybody, 
we also open up ourselves to (possibly) getting hurt. 
To welcome love is to also admit (the potential for) pain and heartache 
....or heart break.

There are highs and lows in every relationship. 
High points when we are happy and all is good and well.
Low points when we feel hurt, sad or frustrated.

This can be easily and beautifully summed up (summarized) 
as somebody once told me : 

"If you want to touch the rose, you must not be afraid of the thorns."

thorns = toge

HEY! Wait a minute!..... is this song about S & M ? ! ;-)


No comments: